1/2 fresh coconut grated or 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tbsp fresh turmeric or 1 tsp of ground turmeric (we have fresh!)
1 small red onion- diced
1 clove garlic- minced
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
2 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
4 fresh curry leaves (yes, we have these too…don’t fret!)
1 pineapple (approx 1 lb) but into 1 inch chunks
1 tsp agave
1/2 tsp salt
fresh lime juice
- put coconut, turmeric, red onion, garlic, cumin seeds in food processor (or blender) and pulse until finely chopped and well combined.
- sauté mustard seeds and curry leaves in coconut oil until mustard seeds start to pop. approx 3-4 mins.
- add coconut mixture to pan with 2/3 cup of water and cook for about 3 mins
- add pineapple, agave, and salt and 1/3 cup of water if needed. Cook until most of the liquid is absorbed and the pineapple is soft, about 10 mins.
- serve over rice or quinoa or millet and top with fresh lime juice
*adapted from a recipe by Joan Nathan