2 heads broccoli (approx 2 lbs)
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 large yellow onion- diced
2 lbs yellow potatoes
5 cloves of garlic- thinly chopped
3/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, or more to taste if you like to bring it
2 tbsp minced fresh lemon thyme or regular if you can’t find lemon
zest of 1 lemon
juice of same lemon
grated parmesan reggiano to top soup
- preheat oven to 450 degrees
- cut broccoli into little bite sized florets, cube the stem (the stem of the broccoli is actually quite delicious, no need to waste, throw it in there!). Put in mixing bowl and add 2 tbsp olive oil. add salt and pepper. put on baking sheet and place in oven for approx 15 mins or until broccoli is blackened on edges, set aside.
- while that is cooking cut the potatoes into small cubes and set aside.
- add 2 tbsp olive oil to pot, onion, black and red pepper, and 1 tsp salt and sauté until onion is just shy of translucent, about 3 mins. add garlic and sauté for 1 more minute until onion is fully translucent (garlic can burn so you don’t want to cook it as long as you cook the onion).
- add potatoes, 1.5 quarts of water to the pot and bring to a simmer. cover and let cook for 10-15 minutes, you want the potatoes to be tender.
- add 1/2 the roasted broccoli, lemon juice, lemon zest & lemon thyme and roughly puree
- add the rest of the broccoli and stir in to warm it
- top with parmesan and serve.