Irish colcannon (mashed red potato + cabbage)
Irish colcannon (smashed red potato + cabbage)
- 2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed and quarted
- 1/2 medium cabbage shredded
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek cut in half, washed and thinly sliced
- ⅔ cup low-fat milk or your favorite milk substitute, hemp milk is awesome in this!
- salt + pepper
- 2 tablespoons green onion, sliced
- Cover the potatoes with water in a saucepan, add about 1/2 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cook until fork tender. Pull the potatoes out of the water with a slotted spoon and plunge into cold water, once cooled pull the potatoes out of the water, drain and set aside.
- Bring the potato water back to a boil, add the cabbage. Cook uncovered until tender, five to six minutes. Drain.
- Heat the butter or oil over medium heat in a large, skillet, and add the leeks cook till soft, about 3 minutes. Add the potatoes. Smash the potatoes with a wood spoon and stir in the milk, and mix together well until the potatoes have absorbed all the milk. Stir in the cabbage, heat until warm and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with green onions and serve!