2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup vegetable broth (or whatever broth speaks to you.. follow your heart)
1 clove chopped garlic
zest and juice of 1 lemon
salt & pepper
- Cut the stem off the artichokes (still leaving about 2 in of it) and then cut in half. Remove the hardest outer leaves (maybe a few layers worth) and remove all the hairs that are at the center of the artichoke (aka the choke) with a spoon.
- Brown butter in a frying pan. When the butter has stopped bubbling – it will create white foam – once that goes away add the artichokes to the pan with the cut side down. Let cook for about 5 minutes – you want the artichoke to start to brown.
- Once the artichoke has started to brown, add your broth. play around with how much you add depending on the size of artichokes and size of your pan. You want them in a little pool of broth. Bring the broth to a bowl and turn the heat to medium-low and cover them. Cook for about 20 minutes until the artichoke is tender.
- Remove artichokes from pan and add the garlic to the broth. Cook for about 3 minutes stirring often and being careful not to burn the garlic (garlic burns easily and burnt garlic is gross… no one wants that).
- Add lemon zest and salt and pepper, stir for 1 minute.
- Pour broth over the artichokes and go to town!
I was new to both braising and not-canned artichokes. I did it!! Awesome recipe, thank you!
Wonderful!! We are so happy to hear it! Hope you enjoyed them!